Tuesday, July 13, 2021

❀Q&A on Book Covers with Eric L. Heard Author of REFLECTIONS OF AN ANXIOUS AFRICAN AMERICAN DAD❀ #ReflectionsofanAnxiousAfricanAmericanDad #bookcovers


Eric L. Heard currently lives in Bowling Green, Kentucky with his wife, Sonya, of 17 years and his son, McKinley. Eric is a graduate of Florida State University with a BS in Engineering. He also has a Master’s Business Administration from Indiana University and Master’s of Manufacturing Operations from Kettering University. He is an Army Brat who has lived in the Southeast United States, Germany, and Japan.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

WEBSITE | FACEBOOK



Tell us about your book! What is it about and what inspired you to write it?

The book “Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad” is about a dad that is talking to his son about his life and hoping to communicate the origins of his anxiety. It is a reflection of a Dad’s childhood and

explains some of his behavior to his son. I was inspired to write when I discovered that I need to become better at overcoming my fears and try something different in my life.

Tell us about your publishing process. What was it like? Did you go indie or the traditional way?

I went the indie route because I was not familiar with the traditional way. It just seemed easier for me to work with one of those self-publishing companies and to work through the process. 

How did you choose the title for your book? Did it come to you right away, before you started writing it, or did it come later?

I wanted a title that reflected the writing that was included in the book. It should be simple, reflective of the book material, and give an idea to the reader of the topics that was going to be in the book.

Tell us about the cover design process. Did you have a basic idea of what your book cover would be like?

I worked with Hamlett Photography about what the visuals should be on the cover. The owner, Harvey Hamlett read the book and talked about some potential covers that would express what is being discussed in the book. I told him that whatever he came up with, it should reflect the tone of the book.

Who is your cover designer and how did you find him/her?

The cover designer was my brother in law, Harvey Hamlett. As I was thinking about how I wanted my cover to look like and the person that can best design it, he came to mind because he has a keen eye for capturing a moment which I wanted to share with readers for my book.

How was your experience working with the designer?

I had seen his work in doing our family pictures and event work so I became very acquainted with his photography skills.

What has been the readers’ response to your cover?

It has mostly been positive but my son has told me that I will have to pay him for being on the cover. As word of the book cover has spread, some of his friends has recognized and has ribbed him about being on a cover with his dad. He laughs about it but he still wants his royalty check.

What tips would you give to authors who are looking for a cover designer?

The tip that I will give to authors is to get a cover that best represents the tone in your book. It should be a cover that introduces the reader to your story and sets up an emotional connection with the reader. I wanted a cover that my great grand kids will look up and can have an immediate connection with me, even if they never met me.

Anything else you’d like to say about your book?

I would like to thank the Bookcoverjunkie and Pump up your Book for the opportunity to write this blog for readers. I would also like to thank potential readers of the book and invite feedback at my website.


❀ORDER YOUR COPY OF REFLECTIONS OF AN ANXIOUS AFRICAN AMERICAN DAD BELOW!


No comments:

Post a Comment