Tuesday, July 6, 2021

❀Q&A on Book Covers with Kelly Lewis Author of TELL HER SHE CAN'T❀ #TellHerSheCant #bookcovers


Kelly Lewis is a women’s travel industry maven, passionate about helping women tap into their personal power through travel. She’s the founder of Go! Girl Guides, the world’s first series of travel guidebooks for women; founder of the annual Women’s Travel Fest, and creator of Damesly, a boutique women’s tour company. Born in Arizona but raised in Hawaii, she now lives in Portland, Oregon.

Kelly has been called a “dame disruptor” by Adventure.com, a “travel veteran” by Brit + Co, a “badass female founder” by Huffington Post, and “The woman making travel better – and safer – for all women” by The Muse. Lewis and her work have also been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, Shape Magazine, Elle, AFAR, Culture Trip, CNN, Travel + Leisure, and more.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

Website: www.tellhershecant.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/gokellylewis & www.twitter.com/tellhershecant

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gokellylewis  



Tell us about your book! What is it about and what inspired you to write it?

Tell Her She Can’t: Inspiring Stories of Unstoppable Women shares the true stories of 35 inspirational women who overcame the naysayers to achieve “impossible”


dreams — dreams that other people said they couldn't do.

I wanted to write this book because this is my story too. I love surrounding myself with strong, empowered and inspiring women, but the path to becoming that often means overcoming a lot of limiting beliefs, whether internal or projected onto us by others. I certainly had to go through this in my own life, and wanted to create a book that could help others not be deterred by the haters.  

Tell us about your publishing process. What was it like? Did you go indie or the traditional way?

I’m an indie publisher (Go Girl Publishing), and have released 8 travel guidebooks previously to this book. My first series was called Go! Girl Guides, and they were the world’s first series of travel guidebooks for women. 

How did you choose the title for your book? Did it come to you right away, before you started writing it, or did it come later?

I knew I wanted to write a book, but I put off that urge until I had a good title. Then one day, in the bath, I kept hearing “Tell Her She Can’t” over and over and I thought: that’s it! That’s totally my motto!

I immediately bought the domain and got all the social handles, but didn’t actually start writing the book until maybe 2 or 3 years later. Needless to say this book has been a long time in the making!

Tell us about the cover design process. Did you have a basic idea of what your book cover would be like?

I knew I wanted it to be bold and incorporate hot pink. The amazing team at BookLaunchers did the rest!

Who is your cover designer and how did you find him/her?

I work with a great team over at BookLaunchers.

How was your experience working with the designer?
Great! Certainly a lesson in trust and communication. We went back and forth until we landed on something we love.

What has been the readers’ response to your cover?

They say it’s eye-catching and bold, and makes them want to read it. Which is exactly what I hoped for!

What tips would you give to authors who are looking for a cover designer?

I hired three designers before I found the right one. If an idea isn’t working and you don’t know how to get it to where it needs to be, walk away and find someone else. It’s a much better use of both your time and the designers to call it, rather than asking them to create 45 different designs, none of which you really like.

 

ORDER YOUR COPY OF TELL HER SHE CAN'T BELOW!

Amazon → https://amzn.to/3uuMdE4

Barnes & Noble → https://bit.ly/3qgWK5f

Apple Books → https://apple.co/3d4jQXg

No comments:

Post a Comment