Sunday, October 1, 2023

Book Cover Junkie Interviews Self Help Author Jamie Linn Saloff

Jamie Linn Saloff is passionate about aiding fiercely independent, misfit, square pegs trapped in an unfulfilling life. Author, teacher, story weaver, spiritual counselor, seer of visions, pathfinder, for over thirty years Jamie’s taught how to reignite your heart by listening to your body groan and your soul weep. She is the author of twelve books including Hatch: A Change Your Life Guide and her Marvelous Messages™ series.

Author Links  

Website | Facebook | Facebook Author Page | Twitter | Instagram | LinkedIn | Amazon Profile


 
Interview:
 

Tell us about your book, Hatch: A Change Your Life Guide! What inspired you to write it?

I struggled a lot with finding my place in life. I didn’t seem to fit into normal circles of friends. As I began to find my path, my life broke wide open. Amazing things began to happen. I knew I wanted to share what I’d learned with others. I wanted them to know, no matter what you’ve been through—illness, trauma, grief, etc. These are the things that


make us who we are and guide you to who you were meant to be. Having been in a place where I never believed life could get better, I couldn’t rest until I shared how I changed my path’s trajectory and turned it for good. I found myself utterly driven to share my story to help others so they too could follow their heart and make their life the best it could be.

How did you choose the title for your book? Did it come to you right away, before you started writing it, or did it come later?

This book went through many transitions. As I mentioned above, I’ve always had a difficult time finding my place. I think I started out being too shy and afraid to be fully open about my own experiences. In fact, a funny story, I had planned to write under a pseudonym. I didn’t want to embarrass my family or cause harm to my husband’s career. And just prior to the publication of that book, four different people approached me, unbeknownst to the others, and told me to publish under my own name—my husband included. I do a lot of work with word meanings. I like words that have multiple meanings or uses. I liked the connotation of people who may feel stuck or trapped in their life, (like the shell of an egg), how they might need an “escape hatch” or, more likely, needed to realize that outside of the life they feel trapped in, is a whole other world “out there” waiting for them if, like a tiny bird, they just “hatch.” 

 


Tell us about the cover design process. Did you have a basic idea of what your book cover would be like? 

I love designs that pop, particularly using contrasting colors and ideas that grab the reader right away. However, I had gone through several designs on Hatch without finding the right one. I went to bed one night and dreamt of a baby swan coming out of the door of a spaceship. (Think Close Encounters of the Third Kind with light emanating from the hatch of the ship and people and beings emerging from the doorway. It didn’t take long to realize I only had an inkling of an idea and that the spaceship wasn’t going to work. From there, I began looking at stock images. Because I sought bursts of light, the search engine showed me all sorts of objects and designs that matched the keywords “light bursts” and the like. I found the eggs designed by Elymas, and they grabbed me. They just felt right. The baby swan (by Lifeonwhite) ended up on the back cover of the print edition. I’ve been chided for putting it there. (All I can say is it makes sense if you read the book.) 

Who is your cover designer and how did you find him/her?

I did my own cover. I don’t recommend that in most cases. However, I have been consulting on covers for over twenty years, have won cover awards, live with an artist-minded husband, and have a cover-designing son who is always ready to tell me where I went wrong. I’ve been blessed to work with some tremendous cover designers over the years. I’m always learning new things. 

What has been the readers’ response to your cover?

When I showed the cover to someone I had been mentoring with, I was told it was all wrong. I also got the impression she had shared the cover with a colleague and that together, they thought it was silly. I showed her some research I had done on the colors and styles in my genre. She tried to disagree. In speaking with her, she recommended almost the exact cover I had on my book called Transformational Healing. When I showed it to her, she could do no more than to wish me luck. I knew she didn’t like it. Hatch is a fairly new release, so only time will tell if the cover is laughed at or understood. My hope is that readers will see the cover, relate to the concept it conveys, and know they are entering into the adventure they expect. 

 


What tips would you give to authors who are looking for a cover designer?

When it comes to designing a cover, most authors make two big mistakes. The first is they become too attached to their first idea. They go to a cover designer and say, “Do it exactly like this.” They lose out on the tremendous potential they have tapped into, a seasoned designer who knows what sells, what pops, what attracts attention. They need to let their designer take their idea and enhance it. If you let them, they can take it to a higher level. You’ll likely have a better cover if you let them use their imagination and expertise. Secondly, I can’t tell you how many authors find a single photo or image and then tell me they have a “cover.” Uh, no, you don’t. You have an image. The font that makes the title, the other layered items that make that image pop, and the rest of the cover items (spine, logo, barcode, company info, blurb, and more) all combined, make a cover. It’s not something your cover artist spits out in five minutes. Respect the work they have to do to make this all come together. Lastly, you can pay anywhere from $25 to $1500 or more for a cover. It’s not the price that makes the best cover. It's a cover that conveys to the reader what your book is all about without making them guess. Talk to multiple designers. You want someone who understands your concept and also knows the industry. Then give them your trust.  

Anything else you’d like to say about your book?

“Whoever you are, whatever you’ve been through, you are a being with tremendous potential.” Some periods in our lives are difficult. We may feel stuck. We may feel there’s no way it can get any better. When I look back at the different times in my life when I felt like that, if I would have stopped there, I would have missed so much. I still am amazed at all I have accomplished, experienced, and enjoyed. My hope is to show others how to bring this type of potential alive in their lives as well. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment